Thursday, 13 March 2014

Run like crazy - Barefoot Running 1 week on

Hello people, as you're aware I've taken up running for fitness and fun. This isn't running in fancy, super cushioned shoes that have air bubbles or springs in the heel and crazy arch support. In fact my running shoes have Kevlar!

My shoes Vivobarefoot Evo shoes have a nice slim sole, wide toebox and great flexibility. They are designed to allow my feet move and bend like a foot should. If you subscribe to barefoot running you won't need convincing and I doubt the ramblings of a noob runner such as myself with no prior experience will encourage runners who ware classic type shoes. All I can say is read as much as you can and listen to the studies being done and you'll soon see the footware industry have been lying to us all the time.

The best thing about barefoot running is how easy it is. I say this only because if you run in classic type trainers etc you are forced to land heel first creating huge preassure on you knees, hips and back also your foot isn't flexing how it should and in turn restricting it's use and causing harm.

Now take off your trainers and run again and you'll automatically start to land mid to forefoot instead of the heel. This auto reflex is ingrained deep within our mechanical makeup. We evolved to run like this to prevent injury and help us cover vast distances.

Before tools and weapons were used to kill animals what did we use, persuasion? "Please mr Deer, lie down and let me bash your head in with this rock" I don't think it worked like that, but new studies are postulating we chased our food over long distances because unlike a lot of other animals we can cool down while we run, so chasing a Deer who gets exhausted because it's being chased over a long time and distance collapses and then we go in for the kill.

Now on to my experience this week. I've found the most challenging part of this endeavour to be my own personal fitness, the running part feels natural and fun. I'm increasing my distance slowly and training 3 times per week. I'm also changing my diet to match my running and my protein intake has been increased. I'm currently running about 1 mile per run now and that's over a bit of elevation and mixed road and off-road running. My mile is at about 10 minutes so quite a slow pace but I'm not too bothered by this yet, I just want to get my distance up. I'd love to run a half marathon next year but this depends on a lot of factors.

Thanks for reading.