Sunday, 2 March 2014

Barefoot Running

Barefoot Running - A Total Noobs Journey

Ok lets get this out of the way. I'm going to blog a little bit this summer on my trials and tribulations while trying  to learn to run. I know I have crazy fads and don't usually stick to them. I spend the money needed to get the gear, I learn everything I can about the activity and I live a breath it for a few months before getting board and moving on.

I do want to stick with running for two things. One is fitness, I'm pretty unfit and don't do much exercise apart from ride my bike a little in the summer. Two to help make my other activities more fun and easier to do. So years ago I had another fad of learning to play golf. I realised I was a reasonable ball striker for a first timer and I got swept away in the romance of hitting the course every now and then and playing a round with friends. This didn't last long fast forward 8 months of going to the range and £900 spend on clubs and a bit more on extras like shoes etc and I wained and haven't struck a ball in a while.

I'd like to get back to golf but I feel my level of fitness and flexibility have held me back a little. So running seemed to be the cheaper choice over cycling.

Now on to why barefoot.

I've always walked about at home and in the close vicinity to home completely barefoot, in the summer no socks and when its a bit colder either in socks or a pair of Trekmate Slippers, these are a duck down filled upper (a bit like a sleeping bag) and a very thing (less than 3mm) sole.

I also walk to work in a pair of Vibram Five Finger classics and I've had them for a few years and when the weather is better I'm in them for most places.


Untitled

This is a reason why I chose to go barefoot running, I know it was a thing and I loved the sensation of being barefoot. What I didn't know is how passionate and dedicated the people were who took part in this sport.

scouring around the net for more info I found plenty of stores selling minimalist shoes, lots of videos of demonstrations on how to run and also a lot of medical studies backing up the claims that running in this way is better for you as your less likely to get injured from typical running problems.

Well over the coming months I'll be reading more or technique and what I should and shouldn't be doing and in a couple of days I'll be buying a dedicated pair of running shoes.

I'm currently looking at the 2014 Bikila Evo or Vivobarefoot shoes.

If you have any advise or know of any barefoot running groups in the Wakefield area drop me a line.