Saturday, 9 March 2013

HDR Tests

HDR

Another thing I love is HDR. I won't say I'm and expert and to be honest allot of HDR image processing comes down to taste. Some can be very heavily processed and others can be very subtle, so much so you cant even tell the image has been through a HDR process. There are various bits of software out there and one of the best I've found is Photomatix Pro by HDR Soft. It can be used as a standalone editing suit or as a plugin for Photoshop, Lightroom or Aperture. Photoshop also has a HDR facility build right in and it has some very hand controls to help get the best out of your images, but I found the UI to be counter intuitive.

Below is a test image I did to try the EV bracketing dial and how it worked and how easy it was to obtain images and edit as part of my workflow on the Fuji X-E1.

First I took 4 images in colour at different EV  (-2, -1, +1, +2) I also had an image at 0.


I always like to convert my shots to B&W as this is the look I personally like. Once combined as HDR I have something like this.


I then take this shot into Photoshop or another editing programme and overlay the colour version of the 0 bracketed image. The final image turns out like this.

Click the Image and it will take you to the Lightbox version on Flickr

This maybe telling expert photographers how to suck eggs but I wanted to show my workflow. Enjoy.